Pediatric Grief Support & Art Therapy
Helping Children Process Grief Through Art
Children feel loss deeply and process their grief in different ways. Arbor Hospice provides one-on-one counseling for children faced with losing a loved one. This includes an innovative Art Therapy Program that helps them express through art what they may not be able to put into words. Then, the healing can begin!
Arbor Hospice's Art from the Heart program includes these types of projects:
- Garden stones - special kits allow children to capture the hand prints of their loved ones
- Memory boxes - decorating boxes gives children a special place to retain keepsakes of their loved ones
- Sculpture - children work with clay to make ornaments or mementos for their loved ones
- Picture frames - children decorate frames to keep a photo nearby
- Photo pillowcases - these pillowcases are stuffed with a special message to loved ones and a photo is added for comfort at night
- Birdhouses - decorating birdhouses allows children to express their ideas of comfort and safety
- Dreamcatchers - these Native American objects help provide security at night
- Jewelry - children can create something they wear daily to remember their loved ones
- Drawing - using paint, crayons and markers, children make pictures to give to patients and/or memorialize loved ones.