There is much about dying and death that is a mystery. Fear is normal as we try to understand and come to terms with what is happening. It is okay to let others know that you are afraid. In sharing this feeling, we can find answers, reassurance and hope.
Are you afraid of?
- Pain or other symptoms
- Losing control
- Falling apart emotionally
- Going to sleep and not waking up
- Being alone
- The moment of death
- What comes after death
- What will happen to family and friends
- Leaving something undone
- Watch for physical signs of fear such as restlessness, insomnia and crying.
- Listen with an open mind. Avoid telling the person who is ill how they should or should not feel.
- Continue living. Keep talking, laughing and touching.
- Be a caring presence. Your touch, a gentle reassurance that you are close by, your kindness and willingness to help can support your loved one through their fear.
- Use inspirational, religious or spiritual music, rituals and reading materials that are reassuring and calming.