Near Death Awareness
Near death awareness is a special communication of the dying. Why does this happen? What does it mean? From the medical and scientific to the spiritual and supernatural, there are more questions than answers.
Signs of near death awareness:
- Appear confused or disoriented.
- State that they have seen or spoken to those who have already died.
- Speak to people and see places not visible to you.
- Talk aloud to people who have died before them.
- Describe seeing spiritual beings, bright lights, animals or something symbolic to them.
- Make out of character statements, gestures or requests.
- Describe another world of peace and beauty.
- Tell you exactly when they will die.
- Make hand gestures, reach for or hold unseen objects, or wave to unseen beings.
- Talk about going on a trip, packing luggage or buying tickets for travel.
These behaviors do not necessarily mean that they are confused, hallucinating or having a reaction to their medications. The person may be trying to describe the dying experience, communicating, and/or beginning to transition from this life.
These messages of the dying may be a symbolic communication to ask for permission to die or to address an end of life need. Maybe they are looking for the healing of conflict in a relationship, wanting to visit someone special or needing to know that you will be okay without them. What is said often has meaning to them and is linked to their own life experience.
- Listen. Do not contradict, explain, correct or argue.
- Be present with the person. Simply sit at their bedside and be open to their attempts to communicate.
- Listen attentively and sensitively and acknowledge the experience.
- Go beyond the details fo the story to connect to the feelings that are being shared.
- Ask gentle questions about what they are saying or doing.
- Allow the person to share this experience with you without judgment and without correction.