Individuals must complete the following requirements in order to become Arbor Hospice Volunteers:
- Application and interview process
- Reference and background check, including fingerprinting
- 20 hours of Volunteer Training
Topics covered during volunteer training include an introduction to hospice and palliative care, ways to improve communication, active listening, respecting cultural differences, pain and symptom management, spirituality and the healing process.
- Annual TB test or chest X-Ray
- Participation in our annual education program and updates
- Volunteers are encouraged to wait a year after the death of a loved one before becoming an Arbor Hospice Volunteer, to allow time for the processing of their own grief
- Volunteers are asked to commit to two to four hours weekly for 12 months after the completion of training
Please refer to our Calendar to view the schedule of upcoming volunteer training dates.