Volunteer assistance can be a wonderful support to patients and families receiving care from Arbor Hospice. Among the many ways Arbor Hospice volunteers may help are:
- Patient Companionship - Provide socialization and companionship to patients or caregivers. This includes assisting with hobbies such as playing cards and listening to music.
- Caregiver Relief - Provide patients' caregivers a break to allow them to run errands, go to work, take a nap, etc.
- By Your Side - Be a supportive presence at the bedside of a patient who is actively dying so that they are not alone.
- Arbor Hospice Residence in Saline - Greet visitors at the hospitality desk, provide tours and answer questions. Volunteers can also visit with patients to provide companionship, deliver flowers to patient rooms, or bring tea and cookies to patients and families.
- Pet Visits - Visit patients with our therapy dogs, Alpine and Leon, or with your own friendly pet. Patients in their own homes may need assistance with pet cae or dog walking.
- Treasured Memories - Assist patients with life review through video, photography journaling, letter writing or scrapbooking.
- Errand running - Help the patient and family by going grocery shopping or making other visits. Volunteers may not transport patients or families.
- Light Housekeeping and home maintenance - Assist patients and their families with folding laundry, dishes, simple meal preparation, tidying the patient's room or other light tasks. Volunteers may also help change light bulbs, stow trash cans or sweeping the porch.
- Lawn Care Assistance and garden maintenance - Help caregivers with their lawn or gardens, including watering, weeding or re-potting of houseplants.
- Light Meal Preparation - Prepare a simple meal for a patient and assist with meal time activities.
- Administrative Support - Assist with making copies, assembling packets and mailings, phone calls, data entry, filing, and fundraising activities.
- Grief Support - Assist with grief support groups and general office support.
In This Section